E19 - Scott Myslinski on The Carnivore Cast
Scott Myslinski is the host of the #1 rated carnivore podcast called The Carnivore Cast (www.carnivorecast.com/about) that focuses on the carnivore diet and lifestyle with practical advice from successful carnivores, citizen scientists, and top researchers answering your burning questions and meaty topics.
00:30 Beginning and development of The Carnivore Cast .
01:44 Scott's personal experience with meat-based diets and common incorrect beliefs of plant-based diets.
04:23 Lightweight rowing, cutting weight, weightlifting, and bodybuilding on meat-based diets.
05:36 Incorporating carbohydrates successfully without downsides and building muscle; gym performance with and without carbs.
08:15 Experimenting with high-fat and high-protein approaches; differences between the two and how to consider the benefits of each.
12:15 Concerns about elevated LDL levels and heart disease.
15:00 Practical advice on how to to travel as a carnivore--is it possible??
16:56 Why tracking macros can be difficult and counterproductive, how to eat intuitively, and how to simplify your diet.
22:55 Energy, sleep, metabolic, and more improvements associated with consuming meals earlier in the day instead of in the evening.
25:06 How to professionally locate and identify accurate and relevant scientific studies.
- Start with a book and use it to find sources.
- Look at the studies cited in the books.
- Read the abstracts of the studies to locate studies relevant to what you wish to learn about.
- Read the methodology and results sections to identify how the data was interpreted, how participants were created, what the interventions were, etc.
Google Scholar https://scholar.google.com/ and Pub Med https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/about/ are good places to search for studies. Be sure to look for studies cited by opposing viewpoints to find what you can learn from other researchers.
29:47 Outlook, vision, and future plans for The Carnivore Cast.
32:27 Eating healthy and enjoying the holidays.
36:13 Keto and Carnivore events! How to find out about them.
- The Carnivore Conference (promoted by Amber O'Hearn in Boulder, CO) The Boulder Carnivore Conference (carnivorycon.com)
- KetoCon (promoted by Ketovangelist, LLC in Austin, TX) KetoCon Austin 2021 | KetoCon
- Low-Carb Events (promoted by lowcarbevents.com throughout the United States) Upcoming Events – Low-Carb EventsBooks referenced:
The Carnivore Code, by Paul Salidino.
keto, Maria Emmerich and Craig Emmerich.
The Carnivore Cookbook, by Maria Emmerich and Craig Emmerich.
Disclaimer: The views presented on this episode are not to be taken as medical advice. Please consult your doctor before adopting a new diet or nutrition regime.